Job Type: Staff
Job Status: Full-time
Date Posted: 10/22/2021
Desired fill date: Open until filled
Reports to: Director of Library Services
Supervision required: Yes
Responsible for the day-to-day operation and coordination of the circulation function of the library which includes providing staffing and supervision of circulation, technical support, billing of lost materials, collection of overdue fines, interlibrary loan, and staff supervision and training. Oversees and maintains the reserve collection and the library’s periodical collection. Oversees the maintenance of shelves and patron records. Provides basic reference service as appropriate. Administers work study program.
Coordinates the circulation function.
- Organizes, prioritizes, and oversees work relative to the day-to-day operation of circulation and shelving.
- Plans, initiates, and modifies work procedures for circulation and the reserve collection.
- Evaluates and develops policy in relation to circulation procedures, automated circulation system, lost or damaged materials, reserve and magazine collections; and explains, interprets and enforces policies with patrons.
- Provides technical support and training for staff and patrons relating to the automated circulation system.
- Coordinates and conducts annual book and magazine inventories.
- Assist patrons in referencing library materials.
- Oversees reserves collection.
- Provides input to budgetary process.
Manages overdue files, monies, and records
- Processes overdue notices, initiates billing procedures through the business office, and maintains records supporting billing procedures.
- Monitors returns and payments made to library and reconciles records with that of the business office.
- Initiates/enforces the restriction or suspension of a patron’s privileges
Administers work study program for library
- Determines work study usage, budget allocations, and coverage throughout the library.
- Recruits, hires, coordinates interviews, determines hours and rates of pay, and assists in maintaining effective employee relations for library work study students.
- Monitors/appraises the performance of work study students.
Manages interlibrary loan.
- Organizes and processes items.
- Ensures compliance with copyright.
- Analyses use of collections.
Oversees magazine collection
- Coordinates renewals.
- Recommends cancellations of little-used materials and culling of back issues as needed.
Staffs circulation desk.
- Processes check-ins, check-outs, and incoming holds.
- Renews materials.
- Collects, adjusts and/or waives overdue fines and charges for lost or damaged materials.
- Assists patrons with copy machine needs.
- Shelves books and other materials.
- Provides basic copy cataloging for new items.
Education and Experience
Three years of technical library experience that includes background in integrated library systems (SirsiDynix WorkFlows preferred), supervision, and customer relations.