Executive Director of Marketing and Communications
Executive Director of Marketing and Communications
Job Type: Staff
Job Status: Full-time
Date Posted: 11/30/2020
Desired fill date: Open until filled
Reports to: VP of Enrollment Management
Supervision required: No
The Executive Director of Marketing and Communications will establish a clear marketing strategy in coordination with the VP for Enrollment Management and Marketing to align with senior leadership team vision and goals. Manages marketing resources across the team to ensure marketing strategy and external engagement is executed in accordance with enrollment objectives. Leads branding, creative direction, web-based front-end development and marketing efforts across all channels. Oversees development and execution of marketing campaigns, partnerships and events that inspire student acquisition and meets goals through a unique combination of product knowledge, creative marketing and strategic planning. Leadership in digital marketing solutions is a priority, including Google Adwords Certification, social media marketing and use of Youtube. Manages marketing partnerships with agencies, corporations and school partners.Demonstrates sophistication in branding Prescott College as a leader in environmental education and social justice. Appropriate experience to develop marketing communications strategies to attract a racially and economically diverse student body.
Working remotely is an option.
Key Areas of Responsibility
Provide Leadership to the Marketing Team: We have a highly skilled team that needs a leader who can inspire them to even greater heights. Some are based on-campus and others work remotely, from Vermont to California.
Plan and implement strategies and tactics that employ cutting-edge approaches in all marketing channels: We are looking for someone who can innovate using new technologies - in the digital, web, and more traditional spaces - that may be rarely used in higher education marketing.
Plan and implement strategies and tactics that reach and attract students from under-represented populations: Prescott College seeks to foster an inclusive and welcoming environment for systemically underrepresented student populations, in part through marketing that reaches students not touched by more traditional approaches.
- Develops and inspires high-performing team which includes: Marketing and Communications Strategists, UX/UI Developer, Graphic Designers and Video Production Manager and oversees marketing solutions across owned (websites/social), earned (new media/blogs/podcasts) and paid media (search, display, print, social, etc.)
- Directs overall marketing and branding efforts and strategies for the College and supervises the implementation of the required programming. Ensures that the College’s marketing, branding and communication efforts on all platforms (e.g., advertising campaign, newsletter, social media, websites, collaterals) are fresh, consistent and effective. Leads the team in identifying innovative and effective ways to market the College, faculty, students, alumni and our academic programs to stay ahead of the competition and create positive buzz and momentum in the marketplace.
- Manages Marketing and Communications Strategists in marketing/ branding and support of external facing events
- Develops a strategy for engagement that meets students “where they are” and establishes trust and open communication with millenial and Gen Z prospects
- Supplement the College's marketing to prospective students by revamping and maintaining a dynamic website via smart, innovative use of videos, photos, and stories on College’s website and social media channels while ensuring inclusion in all email communications and printed collateral.
- Partners with Dean of Enrollment, and Dean of Admissions, to align marketing to recruitment and admissions goals.
- Manages daily activities of Video Production Manager, Content Marketing Specialist, and marketing student workers to ensure daily generation of content (articles, images, videos, podcasts, and posts) to creatively, inclusively, and actively communicate the College messaging
- Identifies and fosters opportunities to be involved in national and international conversations around sustainability, social justice and education
- Oversees lead growth strategy and leads marketing team efforts for “soft-touch” strategy to assist with student retention and remarketing to existing students and alumni. Redefines the role of marketing for Prescott College and establishes full lifecycle approach to upsell graduate programs to viable and likely-to-convert audiences
- Manages web development resources and product management process for all Prescott College web-based properties (including Prescott.edu, MyPrescott, Prescott College center websites, landing pages, microsites and yet-to-be-defined web-based tools/lead capture initiatives for Accelerated Master’s and Dual-Degree Master’s programs)
- Establishes agile process for development sprints and rapid release schedule which is foundationally based on usability testing, A/B split testing, optimization priorities, and institutional needs
- Supervises Marketing and Communications Strategists in the development of customer journeys and identify touchpoints and opportunities to reach students that are seeking our mission and core values
- Oversees work of the Marketing and Communications Strategists in the identification of opportunities and planning for priority initiatives: Online Master’s programs and Prescott College Centers and Partnerships: Tucson, Dopoi, Kino, GMC Center for Sustainability, NPBECE, Ecosa, AZ Serve, etc.
- Identifies and manages workflow for customer segmentation efforts and supervises the team in new efforts to personalize and enhance our marketing efforts through the use of Slate
- Works collaboratively with our Data Operations team to create end-to-end visibility prospect through student to begin to model and score leads
- Defines multi-touch attribution model to better understand the number of marketing interactions required to drive student inquiry and application
- Coaching and building a team of direct reports, conducts regular team meetings to establish progress and hurdles, manages team priorities, and works to eliminate barriers to success
- Supervises team effort to strengthen the brand by creating positive sentiment and conversations about the College, elevates brand identity through thoughtful creative and marketing work
- Oversees brand marketing to ensure all customer touchpoints are consistently representing the Prescott College brand
- Drives marketing and web support for new program launches; implementing template for project management
- Supports faculty research initiatives and identifies opportunities for faculty to have a forum for their work and ideas
- Provides insights and reporting on marketing performance and sets expectations for short and long-term improvements
- Stays abreast of industry trends and data and utilizes metrics to drive new customer opportunities and to build palpable brand affinity
- Fields paid, sponsorship, and partner opportunities and manages day-to-day relationship with agencies and marketing vendors
- Develops insights to determine product-market and product-channel fit Leads the marketing team in working collaboratively with the Director of Advancement and Alumni Relations in managing key aspects of communication with current and prospective donors with the aim of enhancing the fundraising efforts, and develops the design and content strategy for the College’s annual report and magazine
- Works with the Vice President of Enrolment on the annual budget to identify opportunities and best-in-class solutions to drive enrollment of existing and new academic programs, new fundraising activities, and the overall achievements of our students, faculty, and alumni to increase our brand recognition.
Education and Experience
- A history and evidence based support, of a commitment to diversity and inclusion.
- Candidate must have a Bachelor's Degree, preferably in communications, journalism, marketing, or a related field. Preferred: A Master's Degree and/or work experience in media, PR, or marketing.
- Five to seven years of applicable experience working in higher education (colleges and universities who offer on campus and online, associate’s, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral programs), non-profit, agency, or corporate industry.
- Successful experience managing teams of two or more full time professionals and a team of student workers and volunteers.
- Experience in developing and implementing strategic marketing plans and initiatives across an organization with multiple stakeholders.
- Experience managing web, social media, email, and video campaigns.
- Experience working with ad agencies, external marketing and print vendors.
- Demonstrated advanced writing, copywriting, editing, and design skills.
- Advanced knowledge of Adobe Suite, Drupal, Hootsuite, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat, Youtube, mass email software, and customer relationship management software (Radius or Slate).