Residence Life Coordinator
Residence Life Coordinator
Department: Student Life/Housing
Job Type: Staff
Job Status: Full-time
Date Posted: 04/16/2021
Desired fill date: Open until filled
Reports to: Director of Residence LIfe Coordinator
Supervision required: No
The Residence Life Coordinator is a full time staff member of Prescott College who is responsible for developing a welcoming and engaging living environment for the 100+ students residing in campus housing. This individual resides on campus to facilitate a full integration to the campus community and assist with on-call duty and crisis response. Principal duties include supervision, support for student learning and development, residential program development and implementation, administration and building management, crisis management and mediation. In collaboration with the Director of Housing, the Residence Life Coordinator trains and supports Resident Assistants in developing programs in areas of academic interest, life skills, community building, and interpersonal communication. This position is responsible for building a diverse array of programming in support of the school's value of inclusivity.
Resident Staff Development & Training
- Hire, train and supervise 6-7 Resident Assistants.
- Conduct one-on-one meetings on a bi-weekly basis and leading staff meetings on a weekly basis. Conduct semester performance evaluations of Resident Assistants
Advising and Community Development
- Encourage and assist the Resident Assistants in the assessment of educational and community needs and interests of resident members.
- Monitor RA funding, and manage the programming approval process.
- Assist with the purchasing of programming items through use of petty cash.
- Support initiatives that affect student learning, including fostering inclusive living- communities
- Serve in Professional On-Call rotations with the Director of Housing
- Respond to crises in a timely and appropriate manner in conjunction with college protocol
- Work with the Director of Housing to create “on duty” and “away” schedules to ensure staff is nearby campus at all times.
- Maintain a work schedule designed to provide maximum accessibility and involvement with students, Resident Assistants, and departmental and divisional staff members.
- Develop a working knowledge of Housing & Residence Life, and work with the Director
- of Housing and other College staff to insure proper administration of departmental and College policies and procedures.
- Demonstrate and continuously improve effective communication, planning, and organizational skills as they relate to job responsibilities.
- Collaborate cross college and with the Coordinator of Student Engagement to enhance events
- and activities within residence life
- Work in matters related to facilities maintenance, housekeeping, room assignments, roommate
- conflicts, verification of occupancy, key/card access, and room damage issues.
- Coordinate the semester duty schedule for Resident Assistants, including holiday break
- coverage, and approve and communicate any duty changes in accordance with
- departmental procedures.
- Assist the Director of Housing in managing the day-to-day operations of the desk, including
- scheduling of shifts when the desk is open (including holiday coverage), and creating and maintaining a manual for routine desk operations.
- Assist the Director of Housing in meeting with individuals involved in policy violations. The Residence Life Coordinator will also be responsible for adjudicating lower level judicial cases that occur in the halls.
- Coordinate routine health and safety inspections of residential living areas, including resident rooms, according to the established procedure.
- Represent the College at Preview and Accepted Student Days
- Complete other duties as assigned.
Education and Experience
Graduation from a four-year college or university, or the equivalent. Degree in a field related to the behavioral sciences or another job-related field, or specialized training related to working with the target population.
- Experience in advising or mentoring at the professional or paraprofessional level with a diverse array of students.
- Experience working with students in crises
- Strong skills in inter-personal relationships and genuine concern for others.
- Experience mediating conflict and providing conflict resolution
- Experience working with diverse populations and a commitment to DEI, Racial Justice and Inclusion practices
- Strong written and verbal skills.
- Ability to assemble and develop a team
- Ability to provide feedback and support avenues of improvement